If you have installed Project Rider on a Windows machine that has an existing Visual Studio installation, we expect Project Rider to start working without taking any further configuration steps.
However, if you want to use Project Rider on a copy of Windows that doesn't have Visual Studio installed:
- Download and install the JetBrains redistributable of MSBuild (to learn more, please visit the blog post.)
- Download and install Microsoft .NET Framework Developer Pack 4.5.1 or later from this list: https://www.microsoft.com/net/targeting
- (Optional, if you're interested in developing .NET Core applications.) Install .NET Core for Windows.
- (Optional, if you're interested in developing Web applications.) Download and install IIS Express (choose the x86 distribution for your language): https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=48264
- (Optional, if you're interested in developing FSharp applications)
- Add NuGet https://www.nuget.org/packages/FSharp.Compiler.Tools to project
- Changing TargetFrameworkVersion may be required
UPDATE: the link to the JetBrains redistributable of MSBuild was updated to the version with a fix for RIDER-14558.